The statistics around young adults and mental illness in Ireland are stark, and large numbers of vulnerable young adults need your support TODAY!
If left untreated, mental health problems can cause lifelong disability and suffering, and have a major impact on personal development, education, work and physical health.
The facts speak for themselves!
- 1 in 4 young people in Ireland will experience a mental health difficulty.
- Suicide is the leading cause of death among 18-25 year old men in Ireland and the second most common cause of death generally in this age group.
- Ireland has one of the highest suicide rates in the 14-24 age group in the EU.
- 75% of all mental health difficulties begin before 24 years of age.
- 1 in 6 employees in Ireland will experience a mental health difficulty.
Many of the problems associated with mental illness – including suicide – are preventable with early clinical intervention.
Between 45% and 65% suffer from treatable mental illnesses such as depression or psychosis. Early intervention in these conditions can stop deterioration, aid recovery, and prevent relapse, giving young adults real hope in returning to a normal life.
This is why it’s so vitally important that you support Walk In My Shoes – helping us to reach out to those who are most at risk.