The funds raised from Walk in My Shoes will be used to:
- Provide mental health services to vulnerable young adults who otherwise could not afford them.
- Provide a free Support & Information Line
- Enhance existing Young Adult Services at St. Patrick’s University Hospital
Young People and Mental Health
Many young adults need your support today!
- 1 in 4 young people in Ireland will experience a mental health difficulty
- 1 in 6 employees in Ireland will experience a mental health difficulty
- 75% of all mental health difficulties begin before 24 years of age.
- Mental health problems are the biggest cause of disability among young adults in society
- If left untreated, mental health problems can cause lifelong disability and suffering, and have a major impact on personal development, education, work and physical health
- Suicide is the leading cause of death among 18-25 year old men in Ireland and the second most common cause of death generally in this age group.
- Ireland has one of the highest suicide rates in the 14-24 age group in the EU.
Yet many of these deaths may be preventable with early clinical intervention. Between 45% and 65% suffer from treatable mental illnesses such as depression or psychosis.
Early intervention in these conditions can stop deterioration, aid recovery, and prevent relapse, giving young adults real hope in returning to a normal life.
We need your support, pcik a date that works for you and raise funds for ‘Walk in My Shoes’.